Friday 14 September 2012

TF: Music Festival Poster, and Photoshop Questions

Reflect on your use of Photoshop. How does it enable creativity? What were the challenges? How did you overcome them?
Photoshop enables creativity, by having a background as a starting point and then being able to use many effects, on the background, and other pictures to create something unusual and unique. With many special effects you can change the picture completely, and so much that you don’t even recognise the original picture anymore. One of the main challenges I faced would have to be the lack of experience I had. It was my first time that I used Photoshop, so everything I did was new to me. This meant I was constantly making errors, and the festival poster I was aiming for was unprofessional. Furthermore, I found it very hard to find a starting point of my festival. After researching many backgrounds on Google, I found a background that might not have been very conventional however, with effects applied to it, the background looked good enough.

List the techniques used in Photoshop. To what effect?
There are many techniques available on Photoshop: Clone Stamp (I used this to essentially airbrush some writing on my background that I didn’t want). Also for the titles of the artists I applied the effect of Heavy Noise to give a background behind it, and for it to stand out more. I used the magic wand tool to get rid of the background behind the two smurf characters in my posters, so they seemed more natural in the poster. I used distort for the background layer on its own. At first the stripes were straight, however with the distortion it is conventional more to the rave genre I have chosen to recreate.

Evaluate your finished product in terms of the brief. How successful were you?
I believe I was very successful in my poster creation, however, I feel this as it was my first attempt in using the software and I was very pleased with my final result. On terms of creating a festival poster however, I feel my attempt is alright as even though you are unlikely to see the colour scheme on conventional rave posters, I have gone for a different angle, and the end result is pleasing for me.

Moving on to print production for the digipak and advert. What advice would you give yourself?
The advice I would give me is to keep my ideas open when creating a digipak. You shouldn’t have an exact clear idea, as then your creativity is minimised. Even though, it is good to have white space sometimes, I would try and minimise this. However, in trying to feel the canvas up, you have to use trial and error to see what works in taking up the space and what doesn’t. If you look at some festival posters there’s almost too much going on, or too little, so you have to be able to find an equilibrium between this.

No comments:

Post a Comment